The Purpose-Driven Workforce
If you want to know your employees’ commitment to their jobs, don’t ask them if their salaries are fair, ask them about purpose and connection. Purpose in their work predicts whether your employees will stay or go.
How is purpose in work defined? Per Indeed.com, it is the intrinsic sense of fulfillment that employees gain from doing work that’s meaningful to them. In other words, purpose in work connects employees with something bigger than themselves by helping them focus on a greater good.
Why is it important to find purpose in work?
Individuals and groups of people have always been concerned with purpose in life. It’s the “why” we do things and about finding our place in the world. However, more recently, purpose has become closely associated with jobs. According to LinkedIn, 70% of today’s employees saw their sense of purpose as being defined by the work that they do.
Here are some examples of how purpose in work can benefit employees:
- Promotes Engagement: When employees have a strong sense of purpose at work, they can see the relationship between their contributions and an organization’s business goals. As a result, engagement and job satisfaction levels increase. Believing in the value of their work keeps them motivated and enthusiastic about performing their duties.
- Improves Well-Being: Working in a job with purpose can help employees fight off health issues. Their feeling of empowerment gives them a rise in self-esteem. In turn, employees may either experience less stress or have more tolerance for work-related stress. We all know that work often comes with challenges however, finding meaning in those challenges may improve an individual’s overall well-being.
- Strengthens Workplace Relationships: Working together as a team and with like-minded professionals, is a great way to improve and strengthen workplace relationships. Having positive professional relationships helps to keep employees engaged throughout the workday.
- Brings Greater Satisfaction: Purpose in work can bring a sense of personal fulfillment and great satisfaction when the work is meaningful and aligns with employees’ own personal values and beliefs.
- Increases Resilience: Having a positive stance at work, helps employees to adapt in times of adversity and challenges. When employees believe in the work that they do, overcoming obstacles and navigating a new situation seems more doable.
- Drives Motivation: Purpose drives employee motivation. It creates both meaning in their work and passion for their work. When there’s passion in work, it may increase the desire to learn new skills needed in the modern workplace. In turn, organizations benefit from new skill sets.
As senior care recruiters, take it from us that purpose is of the utmost importance to today’s workers. They want to find value in their work now more than ever. Therefore, employers need to spend time connecting their mission with employees’ jobs in order to create a culture that employees will not want to leave.
ABOUT JULIE RUPENSKI
Julie Rupenski is the Founder & CEO of MedBest Recruiting. Since opening its doors in 2001, Julie has grown MedBest into an award winning, multimillion-dollar national firm, garnering impressive awards including INC 5000 2021 and Tampa Bay Fast 50 2021! This year, Julie was named as one of the “Top 100 Women Leaders in Tampa 2022″ by Women We Admire.
MedBest has gained national recognition due to Julie’s industry expertise and high level of success. Julie has an in-depth knowledge of the senior living industry. She previously worked in operations for both senior housing and senior living prior to founding MedBest. Today, Julie and her industry-savvy team of recruiters, make it their mission to place exceptional industry executives in senior living positions where they have the greatest impact.
Julie’s industry articles and interviews have been published in Provider Magazine, Argentum Quarterly, LeadingAge Magazine, McKnight’s Senior Living, Florida Senior Living Association, Florida Health Care Association, Florida Assisted Living Association, LeadingAge Florida, LeadingAge Indiana, LeadingAge Oregon, Virginia Assisted Living Association and the Pennsylvania Health Care Association.
Julie earned her degree in Gerontology at the University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida and continues to cultivate her career through senior living conferences, forums, trade shows, and expos.
MedBest is an award-winning national Executive Search Firm exclusive to the Senior Living Industry. For more than two decades, we have connected senior living organizations with exceptional senior living executive talent for both permanent and interim roles. MedBest was named as one of American’s top companies by Inc.5000 plus we are a Tampa Fast 50 Company!
Visited 208 Times, 1 Visit today