CEO, CNO, Vice President, Executive Director
HERSCHEL BRUCE CAREY
Chicago, Illinois 60601
Cell: (708) 305-5456 firstname.lastname@example.org
An Expert in Healthcare and Business Operations, Ensuring Regulatory Compliance and Healthcare Quality Standards.
Experienced Healthcare/Business Executive managing and leading non-profit, faith based non-profit and for-profit healthcare organizations with progressive acute care and post acute care experience serving in administrative leadership roles (CEO, CNO, Director) and clinical positions in a technologically advanced and competitive medical environment. Proven track record of successfully developing and introducing comprehensive health care services and programs, leading aggressive marketing and organizational restructuring efforts, and business plans to maximize revenue growth and profit returns. Excellent team-building, team-leadership, and interpersonal-relation skills to effectively interact with customers, physicians, staff, clients, and the executive management team.
Operations Management, P&L Management, Strategic Planning, Regulatory Affairs and Surveillance, Clinical Management, Government Relations & Compliance, Strategic Partnership Development, Multi-System/Unit Management, Resource/Labor and Expense Management, Contract Negotiations, Staffing, Training & Development, Fiscal Budgeting & Cost Reductions, Quality Management and Improvement Programs, Physician Recruitment/Relations, Physical Plant Management, Environment of Care and Safety, Servant Leadership and Studer Customer Service Trained
NORWEGIAN AMERICAN HOSPITAL, Chicago, Illinois 11/2015 – 04/2016
200 Bed Acute Care Hospital
Chief Nursing Officer / Vice President Patient Care Services,
Twenty-four (24) hour responsibility for the administrative, clinical and quality operations of the Nursing Units, (Surgical Services, Same Day Surgery, G.I. Lab, Medical/Surgical, Telemetry, Intensive Care, Emergency Department, Wound Care, Education Department, Detox, Adult and Geriatric Behavioral Health), Respiratory Therapy, Nursing Administrative Office and Contracted Dialysis department. Outpatient Infusion Center, Cardiac Testing, Cath Lab and Neuro Diagnostics Services. Provides leadership and direction to a diverse group of healthcare employees.
• Manage/Lead clinical operations with 325 employees, 8 direct reporting Managers and Directors.
• Implemented daily Interdisciplinary Plan of Care Rounds for all nursing units to ensure care is provided in a timely manner and ensure patient readiness for discharge yielding a decrease in patient length of stay from 6.8 to 4.6 days.
• Reviewed HEDIS performance measures for hospital compliance, worked with the appropriate manager to address areas of non-compliance. Audit tools created to ensure compliance.
• Implemented leadership rounding and customer service education to improve HCAHPS patient satisfaction results from 62% to 84%.
• Reworked the Code Blue and Rapid Response policy and procedure and developed education for the hospital and professional office building. Implemented A.E.D. device coverage for all outpatient areas.
• Revised the Medication Reconciliation process and worked with Nursing Informatics to create necessary EMR documentation changes.
• Works closely with the Manager of Education to develop education opportunities to maintain and enhance the skills and knowledge of the Nursing, Respiratory Therapy and the Behavioral Health Program staff.
• Developed and implemented productivity goals and monitoring tools for the Nursing Division, Respiratory Therapy Department and Outpatient Departments resulting in a monthly labor expense reduction of $525,000.
• Led nursing leaders, educators and the medical staff with the development and implementation of the Inpatient and Emergency Department Sepsis Treatment protocol.
• Reworked and developed Code Stroke Education to meet the HFAP (Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program) Code Stroke Certification requirements and reduce program fallouts from 12 to 1 fall out per month.
• Partnered with the Chief Medical Officer to improve/resolve physician concerns and improve the patient discharge process.
KINDRED CHICAGO CENTRAL HOSPITAL, Chicago, Illinois 04/2008 – 09/2015
Kindred Healthcare, Inc., Louisville, Kentucky
Chief Executive Officer, 06/2011 – 09/2015
Twenty-four (24) hour responsibility for the day to day administrative, financial, marketing, quality and facility management of a 96-licensed bed, post-acute long term acute care hospital. Lead/oversee operations in the areas of patient care, pharmacy, laboratory, rehabilitation services, quality management, care management, plant operations, physician recruitment/relations, house physician contracts, regulatory compliance, risk management, human resources, contracted services, product line marketing and other healthcare clinical administrative departments.
• Manage/Lead 350 employees, 12 direct reporting Directors and Senior Executives.
• Provided leadership, direction, and administration to all aspects of hospital activities/operations to ensure quality patient care and satisfaction, regulatory compliance, appropriate financial outcomes and business growth.
• Multi-site oversight for laboratory and respiratory therapy programing and services across the Chicago division.
• Excellent year over year improvement in all hospital quality measures. Received Kindred Hospital Quality Awards for outstanding CLABSI, CAUTI, VAP, Restraint Reduction, Ventilator Weaning quality outcomes.
• Implemented a Quality First hospital wide education plan to stress and educate the importance of Quality Care Indicators and the importance of quality excellence/outcomes.
• Ensured CMS Medicare Conditions of Participation are in place and conditions met.
• Ensured Medicaid Conditions of Participation are met and participated in the yearly revalidation surveys.
• Developed and implemented successful and ongoing customer experience/satisfaction programs. Implemented daily patient leadership rounding and hired a Patient Care Advocate yielding improved Press Ganey patient satisfaction score of 96% from a base score of 72%.
• Prepared and led successful State, Joint Commission hospital and laboratory accreditation surveys.
• Staff recruitment, development and retention resulting in contract labor elimination for all clinical and non-clinical departments.
• Created Physician, Clinical Services, Facility and various other operational hospital contracts. Included contracted quality measures to ensure expected quality outcomes.
• Developed employee safety programs that resulted in reducing staff injuries and sharply reducing worker’s compensation claims and expenses year over year.
• Actively marketed hospital services to referring hospital C-Suite, Care Managers, Social Services and physicians.
• Post-acute care networking to ensure and improve the continuum of quality patient care.
• Physician recruitment and networking, resulting in increased patient admissions and procedures and improved physician satisfaction.
• House Physician practice management and recruitment. Created and managed house physician contracts.
• Implemented enhanced staff practice and policies to support CLIA and TJC Clinical Lab operations.
• Implemented enhanced staff practice and policies to support care requirements for patients with behavioral health and substance abuse concerns.
• Developed and re-engineered the Wound Care Program as a Center of Excellence. Marketed Wound Care Program to referral sources. Developed and recruited a Wound Care Program Medical Director. Improved the wound care healing rate from 48% to 64% and reduced acquired wounds from 6 to an average of 0 to 1 per month yielding an increase of 10 to 12 patient admissions per month.
• Developed and marketed the new VAD Cardiac Program yielding 8 new patient admissions and an increased monthly revenue of $768,000.
• Worked closely with the Case Management staff to improve care management metrics, ensure appropriate coding, educate staff and physicians to improve patient care and improve healthcare expenses.
• P & L management with successful budget development and execution, labor and expense management. Achieved an ADC of 72, budgeted ADC of 60. Eliminated contract labor expenses yielding a savings of $520,000 per year. Experience managing capital equipment acquisitions. Consistently met and exceeded expense and productivity labor budget targets.
• Led the hospital monthly budget review process. Action plans developed for any variances.
• Excellent professional relationship with the Clinical Liaison admission evaluators. Reviewed and approved patients for admission based on admission criteria.
• Facility/Grounds management and construction management (Patient Care area construction, hospital roof replacement project, Dialysis and Rehabilitation Gym construction).
Chief Clinical Officer, 04/2008 – 06/2011
Twenty-four (24) hour responsibility for the administrative, clinical and quality operations of the Nursing Units, Nursing Office Operations, Respiratory Therapy, Cardiac Services, Radiology, Infection Control, Employee Health, Laboratory and Contracted Dialysis departments. Clinical oversight for Dietary and Rehabilitation Services. Provides leadership and direction to a diverse group of healthcare employees. In the absence of the CEO leads/manages all hospital operations.
• Manage/Lead 210 employees, 5 direct reporting Directors and Senior Executives.
• Frequently conducts unit rounding to interact with patients, families, staff and physicians and observe patient care.
• Maintains a highly satisfied workforce as evidenced by the longevity of the hospital staff.
• Leads a team that closely monitors patient satisfaction and quickly resolves patient/family concerns as evidenced by the patient satisfaction survey results.
• Plans, develops, implements and monitors the Clinical Department Budget. Closely monitors supply and rental expenses, and productivity to maintain staffing within the budgeted HPPD target.
• Participates in the monthly budget review (MOR) process reporting clinical labor and supply utilization and quality data.
• Multi-hospital responsibilities for Respiratory Therapy/Care and Centralized Laboratory operations.
• Prepared and led the Clinical Departments through successful hospital and lab Joint Commission and state surveys.
• Review, update and write policy and procedures and creates addendums to corporate core policies where appropriate.
• Excellent professional relationship with the Clinical Liaisons. Reviews and approves patients for admission based on LTACH admission criteria.
• Maintains excellent quality outcomes as shown by the Kindred Quality Indicators: CLABSI, CAUTI, VAP, Restraints. The hospital received a Gold Quality award in 2008 and a Silver Quality award in 2010.
• Successfully implemented a PICC Line program.
• Successfully and regularly assumes entire hospital operations in the absence of the CEO.
• Developed clinical education contracts and monitored associated performance/quality indicators.
• Works closely with Case Management team to provide assistance with patient discharges, physician concerns and ensure appropriate outcomes.
• Attends weekly patient Interdisciplinary Team (IDT) meetings, and the daily Care Plan Management meeting to ensure appropriate patient care and testing.
• Works closely with the Wound Care Coordinator to educate staff to improve patient outcomes and wound care documentation.
• Successfully transitioned from semi-private patient rooms to a private room model resulting in improved patient and family satisfaction while reducing hospital acquired infections.
• Works closely with the Education Coordinator to develop education opportunities to maintain and enhance the skills and knowledge of the staff.
Additional Professional Experience
Jackson Park Hospital & Medical Center, Chicago, IL 2007 – 2008
Executive Director, Medical/Surgical & Acute Care Nursing Services
Adventist Lagrange Memorial Hospital, LaGrange, IL 2004 – 2007
Director, Cardiovascular Services
Adventist Lagrange Memorial Hospital, LaGrange, IL 1987 – 2004
Manager, Cardiopulmonary Services
Colonial Manor Health Care & Rehab Centre, LaGrange, IL 1992 – 1996
Registered Nurse House Supervisor, Nursing Department
EDUCATION & LICENSES
Master of Business Administration, Louisiana State University, Louisiana (Starting Sept. 2018)
Bachelor of Business Administration, Northwood University, Midland, Michigan
Associate Degree in Nursing, Triton College, River Grove, Illinois
Certificate in Respiratory Therapy, College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Assisted Living Administrator Course – completion currently in process
Licensed Registered Nurse, State of Illinois
Licensed Respiratory Care Practitioner, State of Illinois
- 1996 - 1998
Business Adminstration and Management at Northwood University
Bachelor Business Administration
- 1990 - 1991
Nursing at Triton College
Associate Degree Nursing
- 1983 - 1986
Respiraotry Care at College Of DuPage
Certificate Respiratory Therapy