Are Job Candidates Ghosting You?
As if Senior Living didn’t have enough to worry about, candidate ghosting is on the rise. Today’s job candidates have a plethora of senior living employment opportunities, perm and interim, and are juggling several offers at a time. This gives them the power over your organization.
Long term care employers are learning that it’s no longer unusual for a senior care job candidate to vanish, cut off all contact, and go silent at any point during the interviewing process and even after an offer has been extended.
In a recent survey by Robert Half, 39% of hiring managers in the US said that ghosting by job candidates is more common now than it was two years ago. In addition, professionals revealed the main reasons for “ghosting” a prospective employer:
-The interview process was poor (33%)
-They received another job offer (29%)
-The job was not what they expected (23%)
-Remote work was discontinued (15%)
How can senior living and senior care organizations adapt to these current labor market conditions to prevent candidates from vanishing or ghosting them?
- Present an accurate job description of the senior care position you’re trying to fill.
- Engage potential employees throughout the interview process and hiring steps. Get them excited about working with your senior living organization and stay close to them. Communication is key.
- Examine your organizational culture…Is it a great place to work? Are you offering what today’s candidates are looking for such as flexibility, work/life balance, great benefits, wellness plans, additional PTO, and if possible, remote work?
- Speed up your hiring process. Time kills deals. Right now, senior care job candidates are receiving multiple offers and are snatched up faster than ever before.
- Invite them to a team activity or to meet the team either virtually or in-person even before their start date.
- Get to know your candidates better. Find out what motivates them– personally and professionally.
- Remain in touch with candidates while they fulfill their notice period with their current employer. A lot can happen during that length of time including a counteroffer.
If you’ve been ghosted often, that’s a red flag on how well you’re meeting the expectations of today’s senior care candidates and employees. It’s now easier than ever for potential candidates and employees to pursue senior care positions on their own terms.
ABOUT JULIE RUPENSKI
Julie Rupenski is the Founder & CEO of MedBest Recruiting. Since opening its doors in 2001, Julie has grown MedBest into an award winning, multimillion-dollar national firm, garnering impressive awards including INC 5000 2021 and Tampa Bay Fast 50 2021! Julie also made the list of the “Women We Admire” in Tampa for 2022!
Julie’s company has gained national recognition due to her industry expertise and high level of success. Julie has an in-depth knowledge of the Senior Living Industry. She previously worked in operations for both Senior Housing and Senior Living prior to founding MedBest. Today, Julie makes it her personal and professional mission to place qualified executives in health care positions where they have the greatest impact.
Julie earned her degree in Gerontology at the University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida and continues to cultivate her career through senior living conferences, forums, trade shows, and expos.
Contact Julie Rupenski at firstname.lastname@example.org / 727-526-1294.
(Julie’s industry articles and interviews have been published in Provider Magazine, Argentum Quarterly, LeadingAge Magazine, Florida Health Care Association, Florida Senior Living Association, Florida Assisted Living Association, LeadingAge Indiana, LeadingAge Florida, LeadingAge Oregon, Virginia Assisted Living Association and Pennsylvania Health Care Association.)
MedBest is an award-winning national executive search firm exclusive to the Senior Living Industry, established in 2001. We recruit and acquire exceptional senior care leadership, permanent and interim executives, for the full continuum of long term care facilities across the US including Assisted Living Continuing Care Retirement Communities, Life Plan Communities, Independent Living, Memory Care, Home Health Care, and Skilled Nursing.
Contact us at 727-526-1294 / email@example.com.
Visited 600 Times, 1 Visit today